Tuesday, August 10, 2004


The Curious Right

I happen to believe the response of the British Right- and I don't mean the flashy, presentable Right, like Heseltine, Clarke and heirs like Boris Johnson (don't take this as a cue, Boris, when you're searching for praise for your brilliant self on Google: I still have hopes for you)- has been right about their response to terrorism; especially after Sept. 11th.

That said, I do think that a lack of enterprise and curiosity in how to understand and fight this war has been a problem all over. It's not the fault of those who are committed, it's the fault of the carping detractors, in my view.

That's why I'm a fan of the American Thinker. They are bold and original, and don't give much of a monkeys about the detractors. Yesterday (an article I almost missed) they ran an analysis of an interview given by Osama bin Ladin to an ABC investigative journalist in 1998. Although I didn't think it was the last word, it had a directness and a freshness, and tried to get under Bin Ladin's skin; it got me thinkng and made me curious, and inspired me to write this analysis I've posted at 'Writing Hoarsely', my underused spin-off blog-for-longer-bits.

I'm not sure it's curious enough to have said anything not said before- it's an overview of things really- but it did me good, and made me hungry to understand more.

 
Google Custom Search