Monday, April 05, 2004


Just as I was about to link to a range of articles illustrating 'moments of truth' in political life in the UK, the US and Iraq, I came across this WSJ article via Instapundit. I have to link it, partly because it makes some invaluable points about the proper response to the atrocities at Fallujah, but also because it makes explicit comparison between the events in Fallujah and 'lynchings'- citing occasions in the US in 1930. I hotly objected to the use of this word earlier- mainly because I felt the BBC had slipped it surreptitiously into an article. I still wouldn't see events like Fallujah as comparable to a lynching (implying, I have always thought, a sense of community judgement)- I would call it gratuitous murder and public humiliation- but obviously others do, or wish to.

 
Google Custom Search