Wednesday, April 12, 2006


Anti-Royals worth a post? I believe so


Well, the Royal family've proven they can take it, but it seems to me this is a bit rich. It comes from the BBC, which is an organisation supposed to show impartiality in its role as British state broadcaster.


It may be a bit of a non-job, but I teach non-defining relative clauses among other stuff to people who need to know them, and this specimen is going to become one of my favourites:


'The 21-year-old, who last week joined Army pals at a lap dancing club near Slough, is to join the Household Cavalry's Blues and Royals.


Clarence House has released a series of photographs to mark his graduation. '


Thus the BBC announces Harry's graduation from Sandhurst to defend his country. I included the line following because it seemed to me more than slightly amusing.


Unnecessary information confusing things, see?


At the bottom of the article they reiterate the point (not the graduation, the lapdancing), saying


'The prince has again been the subject of tabloid headlines in the last week.


The Daily Mirror and the Sun said the 21-year-old and his friends visited the Spearmint Rhino club near Slough to celebrate the end of his army training.'


I have never believed the BBC is any friend of the Royal Family, though in a sense they bask in a similar kind of nationalistic glow at times. That hypocrisy is one of the BBC's major turn offs. They just made it worse. On the other hand, I am sure that this kind of publicity will make Harry the nation's secret favourite for the rest of his life.


Meanwhile, a little sequence of more or significantly less relevant links which tickled my fancy:


here,


here,


and here.

 
Google Custom Search